This film footage was taken of the Titanic while it was under construction in Belfast, Ireland. Filmed on 3 Feb 1912, Titanic was being moved into drydrock to finish her fitting out. The smokestacks have yet to be painted and “A” deck is not yet enclosed.
There were many newsreels after the sinking of the ship showing Olympic as the Titanic. All film footage of Captain Smith on the “Titanic” in his white uniform was actually taken on Olympic the year before, as they had not changed to white uniforms before Titanic sank.
We will also be sharing the 1912 Newsreel footage which was shown in movie theaters. With no television, newspapers and newsreel footage at theaters was how most people learned of news events in 1912.
Here is the only actual motion picture film footage of Titanic. http://youtu.be/1YQ2nPhV5PU
- 11 Never Before Seen Pictures Of The Titanic (vintage-everyday.blogspot.com)
- ‘Titanic’ Back At Box Office, Enhanced For Your Tragedy-Viewing Pleasure (gadling.com)
- James Cameron Shows What Exactly Happened To Titanic on April 15,1912 at a TV Event [Video] (techieapps.com)
- Rich People Reenact the Titanic’s Voyage, Ideally Without the Sinking [Bad Ideas] (gawker.com)
- Titanic still captures imagination 100 years on (entertainment.inquirer.net)
- Titanic Belfast (neatorama.com)
- A Look Inside Belfast’s Incredible New Titanic Museum (businessinsider.com)