At ten o’clock First Officer Murdoch relieves Second Officer Lightoller as the officer of the watch. Lightoller makes his after watch tour before going to his stateroom to get some much needed sleep. Lookouts Fleet and Lee relieve Jewel and Symons, they pass on Lightoller’s ice warning. In about 25 minutes the radio operator of the SS Californian would attempt to warn the Titanic of ice ahead, only to be told to shut up by Jack Phillips.
Titanic was now going ahead full on a collision course with an iceberg that would send her to the bottom of the ocean. A collision that would leave more than 1500 people in life jackets to freeze to death in the North Atlantic waters.
An event that would haunt more than 700 survivors for the rest of their lives. An event that seems almost inevitable, an event that if it had not happened to Titanic it would have happened to another ship. Technology had advanced beyond our understanding of the dangers, but soon we would understand the error of our hubris.
- Remembering the “Unsinkable” Titanic (risingdano.wordpress.com)
- April 15 1912 Titanic Sinks (vinayputta.wordpress.com)
- Titanic, 100 years on, Apr 10th 2012 (learningfromdogs.com)
- Titanic was high-tech marvel of its time (computerworld.co.nz)
- Events around the world mark Titanic centenary (kansas.com)
- Rare Photographs Taken Aboard the Titanic (1912) (laughingsquid.com)
- First and Foremost A Sailor : Charles Herbert Lightoller (joeccombs2nd.com)
- History Lost And Found: A Letter From Titanic (wnyc.org)
- Cartoon: Modern Toss on Titanic (englishblog.com)
- More Theories and Facts on The Titanic’s Misfortunes (socyberty.com)
- Relatives of Titanic officer seek return of letter (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Titanic surgeon’s letter: kin seek donor (news.smh.com.au)
- Relatives of Titanic officer seek return of letter (mysanantonio.com)
- Relatives of Titanic officer seek return of letter (seattlepi.com)
- Historian Writing in Newsweek Forgets He Was Talking About Actual Titanic, Not Metaphor for Financial Collapse (reason.com)