First Officer Murdoch launches the first life boat, life boat number 7 from the starboard (right) side. The first distress rocket is fired. The rockets are spotted by the SS Californian, but misunderstood.
The next day, at top speed through the icefield in daylight, it will take SS Californian 2 hours to get to the wreck site. Titanic now has 1 hour and 45 minutes left, almost all of those who go into the water will die of hypothermia within 15 minutes. The people in the water will literally freeze to death.
- Titanic 9:20 PM 14 April 1912 (joeccombs2nd.com)
- Titanic: New fragments of the fateful voyage surface from archives (vancouversun.com)
- The Titanic Chronicles: No Ship Is Unsinkable (gadling.com)
- Entertainment of Titanic scale to rule the waves – Belfast Newsletter (newsletter.co.uk)
- Titanic was high-tech marvel of its time (computerworld.co.nz)
- April 15 1912 Titanic Sinks (vinayputta.wordpress.com)
- Titanic 100th anniversary: Best Titanic-themed historical markers and museums (examiner.com)
- Titanic anniversary marked in Halifax with candlelight procession (theglobeandmail.com)
- Titanic tale continues to fascinate (teddyoshea.wordpress.com)
- Remembering the “Unsinkable” Titanic (risingdano.wordpress.com)